A total of 324 entries were received this year, submitted by companies, design and marketing agencies, architects and engineering firms, researchers and students. 129 entries made it into the final round after a pre-selection by a panel of experts of the Advisory Council and the German Environment Agency. An interdisciplinary jury then nominated 20 finalists in the four categories “Product”, “Service”, “Concept” and “Young Design”. Click on https://bundespreis-ecodesign.de/de/wettbewerb/2017/nominierte.html to view an online exhibition of the submissions.
Rita Schwarzelühr-Sutter, Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Ministry for Environment (BMUB), on this year's competition: “I am glad that the Ecodesign Award has taken hold. There were once again many high-quality entries in this year’s round. I was impressed by the emphasis on longevity in many of the entries. Long service life is a key ecological goal.”
“What I especially like this year is that more projects in the Service category made it to the final round. In addition to products with good ecodesign, innovative services are also key in the digital transformation and for a green economy“, enthused UBA Vice-President Dr. Thomas Holzmann.
The German Federal Ecodesign Award is a distinction awarded for products, services and concepts which are exemplary in terms of their ecological quality, innovative approach and high level of design quality. The Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety have awarded the Bundespreis Ecodesign every year since 2012 in collaboration with International Design Center Berlin (IDZ) Berlin.
This year's Ecodesign Award jury
- Werner Aisslinger (product designer)
- Prof. Anna Berkenbusch (communications designer, Professor at ESMOD Berlin)
- Andreas Detzel (environmental expert, ifeu Heidelberg)
- Prof. Matthias Held (product designer, Professor at the University of Design Schwäbisch Gmünd)
- Dr. Thomas Holzmann (Vice-President, German Environment Agency)
- Prof. em. Günter Horntrich (product designer, Professor (em.) for Design and Ecology at KISD)
- Dr. Claudia Perren (architect, Director of Bauhaus Dessau Foundation)
- Rita Schwarzelühr-Sutter (Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Ministry for Environment)
- Prof. Friederike von Wedel-Parlow (fashion designer, Professor at ESMOD Berlin)