2021 marks the tenth anniversary of the Bundespreis Ecodesign, or German Federal Ecodesign Award. The German Federal Ecodesign Award of the Federal Ministry for the Environment (BMU) and the German Environment Agency (UBA), in collaboration with the International Design Center Berlin, have hosted the competition since 2012. Prizes are awarded in four categories: product, service, concept and young talent. This year's round of the award received international entries for the first time.
Parliamentary State Secretary Rita Schwarzelühr-Sutter at the Federal Ministry for Environment (BMU) and member of the jury commented: "The ten years of the Federal Ecodesign Award are a real success story. That's because the 80 percent of a product's impact on the environment is influenced by its design. The award has made a significant contribution to bringing the combination of ecological product, design and aesthetic standards from the niche to the mainstream. The nominated products and concepts are impressive proof that climate protection and resource conservation are now part of the core of design."
Professor Karsten Henze, Chair of the Board at International Design Center Berlin (IDZ), said: "It is a special pleasure for us to have organised this important prize for ten years now. Design can make an important contribution to mastering the great ecological challenges. In this special anniversary year, we are looking back at a total of 91 outstanding ideas that have been awarded the German Federal Ecodesign Award - in the SPOTLIGHT ON event series, you will have the opportunity to get to know some of them in more detail."
A panel of experts selected 94 of the 381 entries for the jury meeting in an initial selection process. In a second step, the nine-member jury selected the nominees, which included projects from companies, design agencies, engineering and architecture firms, as well as research institutions and universities.
Nominees are announced here Nominees 2021 (bundespreis-ecodesign.de)
All projects admitted to the jury session will be made accessible to the public at the premises of feldfünf e.V. in the Metropolenhaus in Berlin. The exhibition can be visited daily from 4 to 7 p.m. from 2 to 10 October 2021. To mark the anniversary, the exhibition will be accompanied by an additional programme. The motto SPOTLIGHT ON will focus not only on current entries, but also on previous winning projects. More details on the various event formats can be found on the website of the German Federal Ecodesign Award.
Jury members of the German Federal Ecodesign Award 2021
- Werner Aisslinger (Product designer)
- Prof. Anna Berkenbusch (Communications designer, Professor at University of Art and Design Halle)
- Andreas Detzel (Environmental expert, ifeu, Heidelberg)
- Prof. Matthias Held (Product designer, Professor at University of Design Schwäbisch Gmünd- HfG)
- Prof. em. Günter Horntrich (Product designer, emeritus Professor for Design and Ecology – Köln International School of Design)
- Prof. Claudia Perren (Architect, Director, FHNW Academy of Art and Design)
- Dr. Alexander Janz (Head of Department "Sustainable Products and Sustainable Consumption, Circular Economy", UBA), deputising for Dr. Bettina Rechenberg (Head of Division III "Sustainable Production and Products, Waste Management", UBA)
- Dr. Ulf Jaeckel (Head of Division "Sustainable Consumption, Product-related environmental protection at BMU), deputising for Rita Schwarzelühr-Sutter MdB (Parliamentary State Secretary, BMU)
- Prof. Friederike von Wedel-Parlow (Fashion designer, Founder of Beneficial Design Institute)
Office of German Federal Ecodesign Award
c/o IDZ | Internationales Design Zentrum Berlin e.V.
Hagelberger Straße 52 | 10965 Berlin, Germany
T +49 30 61 62 321-21
presse [at] bundespreis-ecodesign [dot] de