A total of 160 projects were submitted in this year's round of the Blauer Kompass contest – a number which once again set a record. Climate change is increasingly leaving its mark on mankind and nature and a growing number of actors in society are adopting adaptation measures and thereby setting an example of good practice. Adaptation to anticipated climate change will be necessary despite ambitious climate action goals The nominated projects are examples of how this can be done.
This year's round of the Blauer Kompass contest will once again include an audience award. The winner will be announced after an online survey being taken at: www.uba.de/tatenbank. The public is invited to vote for their favourite project by 20 April. The project with the most votes will be selected as winner.
An expert jury will decide the winners of three further projects in late April. The four winners of the Blauer Kompass contest will then be honoured at an official ceremony to be held at the Federal Environment Ministry in Berlin on 26 June 2020. Each project is awarded a trophy, certificate and support in promoting the project through media and public relations activities. A video clip will be made that showcases each project.
15 candidate projects
The following projects from 10 federal states have been nominated for the Blauer Kompass contest and will compete for the audience award until 20 April at www.uba.de/tatenbank in the following categories:
Category 1: Private and public enterprises
- Brandenburg: Hof Windkind UG, 16775 Löwenberger Land
- Lower Saxony: Gundlach Bau und Immobilien GmbH & Co with the federal state capital Hannover, 30167 Hannover
- Lower Saxony: HanseGrand Klimabaustoffe, 27446 Selsingen
- North-Rhine Westphalia: Ingenieurbüro Feldwisch/ BGHplan Umweltplanung und Landschaftsarchitektur GmbH, 51429 Bergisch Gladbach
- Thuringia: Thuringian Institute of Sustainability and Climate Protection, 07743 Jena
Category 2: Education and research institutions
- Bavaria: Bayreuth Center of Ecology and Environmental Research, 95448 Bayreuth
- Bavaria: University Hospital of Munich, 80336 München
- Berlin: Technische Universität Berlin, Institute of Architecture, 10623 Berlin
- Brandenburg: Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, 14412 Potsdam
- Schleswig-Holstein: Berufsbildungszentrum am Nord-Ostsee Kanal Europaschule, 24768 Rendsburg
Category 3: Societies, associations, foundations
- Baden-Württemberg: Bodensee-Stiftung, 78315 Radolfzell am Bodensee
- Bavaria: Bergwaldprojekt e. V., 97080 Würzburg
- Brandenburg: BUND Friends of the Earth Germany, 19309 Lenzen (Elbe)
- Hesse: Freundes- und Förderkreis GLEKS, 63452 Hanau
- Rhineland-Palatinate: Stiftung für Ökologie und Demokratie e.V., 67705 Trippstadt (Pfalz)