What are AEGL values?
Additionally, measures for alert and emergency response planning as well as for disaster control can be projected more accurately on the basis of the AEGL framework.
AEGL values represent toxicologically substantiated ceiling exposure levels:
- for different relevant exposure periods (10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours),
- for three different degrees of severity of toxic effects which are needed according to the scale of action laid down in planning for the various areas of application:
- AEGL-1: threshold for notable discomfort;
- AEGL-2: threshold for serious, long-lasting effects or an impaired ability to escape;
- AEGL-3: threshold for lethal effects.